Call for 2016 WCSA Annual Award Submissions
Deadline for Nominations: Friday, January 20th, 2017
The Working-Class Studies Association (WCSA) invites nominations (including self-nominations) for awards covering the year of 2016. Award categories are:
- Tillie Olsen Award for Creative Writing: Published books of poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, and other genres
- C.L.R. James Award for Published Books for Academic or General Audiences
- Russo & Linkon Award for Published Article or Essay for Academic or General Audiences
- Studs Terkel Award for Media and Journalism: Single published articles or series, broadcast media, multimedia, and film
- Constance Coiner Award for Best Dissertation: Completed dissertations
In all categories, we invite nominations of excellent work that provides insightful and engaging depictions of working-class life, culture, and movements; addresses issues related to the working class; and highlights the voices, experiences, and perspectives of working-class people.
To be eligible, works must have been published (in the case of books or articles) or completed (in the case of films and dissertations) between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
To nominate a work for consideration, please send three hard copies (submit books and dissertations on paper, other materials may be submitted on paper or in electronic form) with a cover letter, identifying the category in which you are nominating the work and a brief explanation of why you think the work deserves recognition.
Nominations are due by January 20th 2017.
School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research, University of Kent, Canterbury
Kent CT2 7NF, UK
Books nominations should be sent to:
c/o Dr. Christie Launius, Director, Women’s and Gender Studies, Sage Hall 3457, UW Oshkosh
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Winners will be announced at the 2017 Working Class Studies Association conference at, May 31 to June 3, 2017, on the campus of Indiana University, in Bloomington, Indiana. Winners will receive free conference registration and a plaque.
Details of the awards and past winners can be found here.